Re: problem in understanding source code of kernel

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 6:10 PM, Sandeep K Sinha <sandeepksinha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well Nidhi,

I would suggest you to take the following step,

1. C Programming. - k& R.
2. UNIX My Ultimate Guide  - Sumitabha Das.
3. Beginner's Linux Programming - Neil Matthews & Richard Stones - O'reily.
4. Design of UNIX operating system - Maurice Bach.
5. Linux Kernel Development - Robert Love.
6. UTLK - Bovet & Cesati.

Well, It will definitely take some time for you to get yourself
comfortable with the kernel source code.
So, Better start doing some advanced application level programming
before wading through the source code. i.e thread programming,
sockets, shared memory, message queues, signal handlers and all that.

Also, while entering into the kernel source code, kindly google and
read read some docs on  "Linked List in Linux Kernel", it would really
be helpful for you.

It will take time, so have patience.

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Jiri Pirko <jpirko@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:15:37 +0530
> "nidhi mittal" <nidhimittal19@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> hi all
>> i m just a new in this field of kernel programming on my own i tried to
>> study ULK by bovet still in mid of it ..
>> a bit programming on processes fork exec , sys call related to files ,
>> threads ,etc from Advanced linux programmin book
>> but still when i try to understand source code i find it difficult to
>> understand as its huge where to start from ..
>> code is not much documented ...
>> could anyone please help me out ...
>>
>> and one more thing as i am studying theory only from ULK i wanted to have
>> some practical exp of writing code ...
>> how & where shd i start from pl help
>>

> Advanced C knowledge is necessary. Read parts od /Documentation/
> relevant to you, starting with HOWTO. Also book Linux Kernel
> Development by Robert Love is great.
>
> Jirka
>
> --

Regards,
Sandeep.

"To learn is to change. Education is a process that changes the learner."