Re: Kernel Complilation

On Tuesday 23 September 2008 12:17:41 rishi agrawal wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
>
> I recently complied linux kernel 2.6.26.5.
>
> I had a Fedora installation.
>
> While reading the documents related to kernel compilation I found
> steps like mkinitrd , changing the menu.lst and update-grub.
>
> Without even doing these steps the boot menu is having the entry of
> the newly compiled kernel and it is working fine.
>
> Can someone explain this.

the initrd-image is needed when you compile in drivers for the
disk-controllers and filesystem for the / (root) partition. If this is
compiled directly into the kernel, the kernel can read the disk and load all
other modules.

the initrd is a convenient way for distro-developers to ensure that the
provided kernel will run on as many systems (with a wide range of
diskcontrollers as well as filesystems) as possible.

--
Med vennlig hilsen - Yours Sincerely
Henrik Austad