Re: kthread or tasklet in driver

Hi!

On 13:00 Tue 16 Sep     , jasjit singh wrote:
> Thanks Himanshu, Michael and Mitul for you replies. Most of the things are now clear to me. I think work queue is best option for me to use.
>
> As my driver is a network driver, I am expecting heavy interrupt load on the system. This means new interrupt may (or will) come before the bottom half corresponding to previous one has been processed. This can result in queuing up of bottom halves. My question is - Like ksoftirqd handles the situation when too much work is pending in softirq context, is there a similar entity which does the same when too much work is pending with the work queues.

Many network drivers have some mechanisms in case of high load:
- interrupt mitigation: Do periodic polling and process many packets at once
      if the number of packets/sec exceeds some threshold.
- Tell the network card to stop receiving, if the system cannot cope with the
      load.
	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com