Re: kthread or tasklet in driver

hi,

if your work require to sleep you can use work_queue other wise you can use tasklets.

thanks,
mitul modi

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 2:30 PM, jasjit singh <singh.jasjit@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

I'm implementing interrupt handling routine for my driver. In servicing the interrupt, some important work needs to be done. However that is not more important than avoiding of interrupt disabling. So I would prefer to do the work later(In bottom half). Presently I am thinking of two solutions. First is tasklet based. Every time an interrupt is there, it will schedule the tasklet that will perform the desired work. Other is spawning a kernel thread that will sleep indefinitely. It will be woken up whenever there is an interrupt so that it can perform the desired operation. Both methods seem feasible. But I am still looking for the various pros and cons of the two solutions. Can you suggest which would be better. Or rather what factors do I need to consider to choose between the two.

Also there is no mention of kernel threads in "LDD 3rd edition". Is it that kernel threads are not used (or not recommended) in the drivers.

Thanks,
Jasjit Singh