Re: kernel build question

Le Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:01:39 +0530,
"umesh b" <umesh.kollam@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Thats correct. But how do i know what all i need to select? suppose
> the motherboard supports PCI express, or maybe some I2C chip. The
> devices we can see using cat /proc/devices but what about things that
> the motherboard supports? do i need to go through the motherboard
> manual?

Don't use /proc/devices as a source to know what your hardware
is. /proc/devices is *NOT* the list of devices present in your system.
It's the list of major numbers registered by the currently loaded
character and block drivers.

Better source of informations are dmesg, lspci and lsusb.

Basically, you need to know your hardware, and possibly compile and
boot the kernel several times until you select the correct set of
options. There's no magical recipe I can give you.

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
consulting, training and support.