device model and external device

Hi all,

If I understand correctly, the importance of adding a device to the
device model is that now you can register the suspend and resume power
management callbacks. And the process of adding is automatically by
the kernel calling the probe function.

Q: if I am writing a driver for an external device, I think it cannot
be automatically detected by the kernel (let's say the device is wired
to the  platform via a uart or mmc bus), so how can I add it to the
device model ? manually ?

Thank you all very much
naziir