Re: service oriented scheduler

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 08:05:39 +0200
Raz <raziebe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 5. Description
>
> This assignment is practical, not theoretical. I will supply a set of
> patches, a driver and configuration
> tool. I will write it for the Linux kernel and then I will provide
> some benchmarks comparing the current
> technology versus the service oriented technology. My hypothesis is
> that in some cases, it is best to
> use SOS scheduler.
> SOS scheduler uses SMP, SMT and if possible over VT.

That makes sense.

I have no idea how common such scenarios are, but I could
imagine that using CPU cores in a service oriented way
could improve performance of some workloads.

It may even be possible to have some CPU cores used for
userspace only things, in a gang scheduling way.  In
effect scheduling a few cores together, allowing the main
process (on one core) to let the other core to do some of
its work during its timeslice, in a Cell like way...

With 4 core CPUs becoming more common, 8 core CPUs around
the corner and CPUs with even larger numbers of cores
possible in the future (I do not know if they will show up),
we may need new ways to effectively use all those cores.

Experimenting with different ways of utilizing cores could
be very useful.

--
All rights reversed.