Re: stack depth

On 15-08-08 08:27, Stoyan Gaydarov wrote:

What does this mean:

syslogd-listfil used greatest stack depth: 5788 bytes left
cc1 used greatest stack depth: 5664 bytes left
http used greatest stack depth: 5192 bytes left

(Part of the dmesg log)

Theres quite a few of them and I think it has to do with ram and the
amount of system stack space there is to hold which function called
which function but I cant be sure. Can anyone help explain? (This is
2.6.27-rc3 btw)

You enabled CONFIG_DEBUG_STACK_USAGE, a debugging/profiling mechanism (that you shouldn't enable unless you really do want to debug/profile stack usage).

It is about profiling the amount of kernelstack needed. Normally the kernelstack on x86 is 8K, but 4K (rather, 1 page instead of 2) is a better value -- the thing agianst 4K though is that some uses simply don't fit in 4K, possibly meaning silent memory corruption.

This option is part of the probing infrastructure into seeing how, what, where and when.

Rene.