[embedded platform] kernel questions

Hello.

I'm in for a porting Linux on board hosting System-on-Chip IC made by
LG - LGMM3001, based on ARM926EJ-S, running at 216MHz. Only uCos has
been ported on the board so far (not by me).

This is my first experience of Linux porting, though I wrote a few not
very complex drivers a couple of years ago for 2.4.x kernel and worked
mainly on application layer since then.

I'm now reading "Embedded Linux System Design and Development" by P.
Raghavan and Sriram Neelakandan and a few articles I found on Web, but
anyway there are lots of questions arose. Right now I want to clear a
few major ones:

- what kernel version to choose. I understand it depends on system
requirements and hardware specs, and I think 2.6.x branch should be
given a preference, as it supports a lot more hardware then 2.4 and
community provides better support as well :) Question is what version
of 2.6.x family to choose, is there a strict criterion to choose ?

- what bootloader can you recommend to choose for porting on the
board? There are U-boot, Redboot and ARMboot as the most common and
portable. I briefly check the Web Links and found that only U-Boot
supports ARM9, am I right?

- I mentioned above about uCos - is it reasonable trying to port uCos
device drivers on to the Linux platform, or drivers should be
rewritten from scratch, as uCos and Linux architectures I guess are
quite different ?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to getting answers to my queries!

--
Roman Mashak