Re: How often do you use ram filesystem(ramfs or ramdisk)

On 12-08-08 09:40, MinChan Kim wrote:

AFAIK,  many people use ramfs or ramdisk to boot up system temporally.
But I want to know other ramfs use case(include ramfs, ramdisk and
others ramfile system which I don't know)  except that.

How do you use ram filesytsem and for what ?

tmpfs is a widely used RAM based fs. As its name implies, it's intended as an fs for /tmp and I do use it as such. It improves (or can improve) speed of things that use /tmp and "auto-empties" on reboot.

To use POSIX shared memory, you need a tmpfs mount on /dev/shm.

udev, used by almost all Linux systems these days, mounts a tmpfs on /dev itself and creates its device nodes there.

Then ofcourse there are all the virtual filesystems such as proc, sysfs, debugfs, usbfs, nfsd, ..., which are also RAM based filesystems (but not generic ones).

Personally, I don't use an initramfs/initrd.

Rene.