Re: Programming Local apic timer

check out the tickless kernel, the aim of that was to remove the timer
ticking, so as to remove interrupts.   Significant performance
improvements was achieved - arising from a reduction in numbers of
interrupts processing.   And similarly, power consumptions dropped by
a lot, as now idle means really idling.....no more ticking....

but your aim was to understand how timer worked right?   so take
thoose patches and reverse it...u can have a very good view of how
kernel uses timer....in the past.

moreover, just a few of these keyword - apic, hpet, timer, kernel can
results in many results from Google - especially kernel projects done
in undergrad universities.   If u cannot find it let me
know....thanks.

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh