configuring the Kernel

I am trying to write a script which will enable (update) Kernel to be automatically configured based on following things :

(1) active modules in /proc/modules
(2) output of lspci

where else can I see to get a very minimal  kernel image which will be required to run on a given machine ( obviously , running all devices which were previously working !!)

I thought Kernel configuration is a daunting task
kernels which are configured for various distros (for instance Debian ! ) are not optimally configured for a specific machine  (hence, make oldconfig does not necessarily give optimal image !)

Automatically configured kernel would be a great Idea and save lot of time

Please contribute your ideas on this.

regards,
Onkar