Re: How about implementing an online hierarchical storage on ext2/ext3 file system?

Hey Scott,
What I can recall and and IMHO,
here online means thats the relocation of files from tier to the tier
should not affect the throughput of the system and and should not be
done after making the filesystem offline for use.

Also, Hierarchical here means the different storage classes based on
the quality and cost of the storage.
Something when you have a LVM on top of a collection of different
storage class storage.

Rohit, can you just confirm, if thats true.

Btw, Rohit can you brief on what exactly are your intentions.

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 5:04 PM, rohit vashist
<rohitvashist2kk3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hello
>
> by online hierarchical i mean that during runtme can we decide a
> placement policy
> to place a file accordingly on the physical disk.i mean giving a
> multiple tier soluntion
> to the file for eg. file of great importance on tier1 of leasr
> importance on tier2...
>
> Whether such thing exits in ext2/ext3??

>> Define 'online' and 'hierarchical'.
>>

> --

Regards,
Sandeep.

"To learn is to change. Education is a process that changes the learner."