Re: PAT

Hi Peter!

I hope you don't mind if I cc:ed the reply to kernelnewbies as well....

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Peter Teoh <htmldeveloper@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> BTW....there is a talk on PAT today...(page attribute table)...really puzzle me:
>

> the key api is set_memory_wb.....needed by X window for
> performance....which he mentioned that writing to devices should not
> cache in memory.......know anything about memory aliasing....???

OK, I have trouble understanding it too, so first thing to do seems
like reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliasing_(computing) for
both of us :D :D :D

But logically, I guess by making I/O mmapped memory region (am I using
right term guys?) uncached, you simply make any modification goes
directly to the device... and that certainly beneficial in some cases
(video card's memory is modified in order to manipulate certain
bits...it happens instantly rather than delayed). It's unlike block
access where you might get more benefit when doing delayed access
(think about possibility of merging adjacent block writes).

regards,

Mulyadi.