Re: Question on functions related to swapping in pages.

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 23:28:01 +0200
ninjaboy <n0b0dyn1nj4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2008/7/22 Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:51:43 -0400
> > Arn <cse.syslab@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> So I assume that when a major fault happens, somehow get_user_pages()
> >> gets called, is that correct ?
> >
> > No.  When a page fault happens, handle_mm_fault() is called.
> >
> > The get_user_pages() path is when kernel code tries to access
> > the pages of a process that is not the current process.
> >

> why kernel tries to access the page of a process that is not the
> current process?

Think about attaching a debugger to a userspace process and
trying to peek or poke the memory of the process.

The debugger may try to access memory that is currently
swapped out, which will cause the memory to get swapped in.

--
All rights reversed.