Re: question about realtime scheduling on native linux

Hi...

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Xiaolan Zhang <zhang.xiaolan@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> I just wonder how 2.6 linux kernel schedule realtime jobs on a SMP
> environment.

Will try to answer based purely on my guess...

>If two RT jobs are started on the same CPU and a low priority
> job is started on another CPU, will linux move the second RT job to the
> other CPU to preempt the low priority job?

well, depends on the affinity setting. But assuming none of them are
being "held" on certain core/processor, then yes...at the first moment
preemption happen, one of the RT job will move to the other core and
preempt that low priority job.

However, load balancing between core is not something that happen very
frequently. And scheduler should avoid cache invalidation due to job
relocation as many as possible. So, to conclude, yes in the end RT job
should preempt that low prio job..but I am not sure how fast it would
happen.

regards,

Mulyadi.