Re: any one working on real-time research projects?

On Monday 07 July 2008 20:14:04 Gabriele Modena wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Henrik Austad <henrikau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> I also worked on a real-time project involved in benchmarking the
> rt-preempt patchest
> and to determine the behaviour in scheduling real-time IRQ threads
> with the CFS scheduler
> (roughly speaking, I was trying to obtain Quality of Service by
> scheduling interrupt threads).
>
> After my bachelor I did not have to time to further work on it. I
> applied for Summer of Cod, but did not go well :)
> I'm still intentioned in carrying the work on as a personal project
> starting in the next few weeks though.

I'm a bit bogged down at the moment, so I won't start working full-time on
this before mid-august. Right now, I'm reading through UTLK, kernelnewbies,
lkml and various web-resources trying to put the magic pieces togheter :-)

> > I'm going to look at implementing an EDF scheduler, with the rt- patch
> > series, ands finally try to measure the performance and latency compared
> > to other schedulers (O(1) and CFS)
>
> Are you going to implement it as a CFS's scheduling class? I'm curious
> about any sort of overhead that could be encountered in such a case.

To be honest, I don't know yet, that's part of my project. :-)

It would be interesting to rip out the entire scheduler and implement an EDF
from scratch, but given the nature of EDF-scheduling, a lot of extra code
must be changed as well (since a process must notify the kernel wether or not
it's aperiodic, expected runtime, frequency)

> I would also be curious to benchmark the rt-groups patchest (that IIRC
> should allow the possibily to schedule by using EDF and control
> groups).

Hmm, this is actually new to me. How does it schedule a group? And how is
processes/threads scheduled within that group?

--
mvh Henrik Austad