is overwriting user data acceptable

Hi Guys,

I am working on a driver that I plan to submit to the Linux sources in
the next few month on the PPC communication processor Architecture.
That makes me little worried about the acceptance of this driver into
the Linux tree.

if I have an ioctl that passes me some data in a structure which I
have to process and return the result as a field in the structure.
Is it acceptable if I copy the entire structure with copy_to_user()
instead of copying only the field with with put_user()?
Because doing so I am overwriting the user data which is ok for my
application but does Linux treat overwriting data in this fashion?

I know it is a bad question.
But I would like to know whether it is OK to do so and is it
considered bad practice which will affect my submit of sources?

- Bhanu