IDT/Exception handling understanding - kernel vs userspace control path

Looked the last few lines of this:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2003/7/10/74

I am trying to trying to understand the control path of IDT in userspace vs kernelspace:

1. The patch mentioned NMI can returned back to userspace.....is that correct? How and where in the kernel is this return to userspace controlled/directed? Generally, all other interrupt will not return to userspace right? So why? Is that because the IDT table will control the return path? Then what happened to that of NMI handler instead?

2. When in userspace, the IDT table - which have the return address of the functions in the kernel...cannot be used. So how is the control path of "int 3" looked like when processes execute it? Userspace will have exception handling etc....but I think all these processing comes after the kernel handle the exception right? And these userspace exception are therefore controlled by kernel - where is it?