Linux 2.6 Scheduling

Hi Friends,

I am trying to learn Linux Kernel Internals, and I am going through Robert Love's Book Linux Kernel Development. I have a doubt regarding Linux process scheduling.

In the example given in the book, text editor and video encoder have different priorities.

Text Editor has higher priority and large time slice.
Video Encoder has smaller priority and smaller time slice.

Since Video Encoder is processor intensive it will exhaust it's time slice very early.

So consider a system which runs only these two applications.

If Video Encoder exhausts it timeslice it will be moved to expired process queue.

But Text Editor is still running (May be sleeping in a wait queue) because of its large time slice, that means processor is not utilized properly.

Is this correct, or Will the kernel do a re-schedule if there no runnable process.

P.S. : I am not sub-cribed to this list, Please CC me also.

Thanks
Nobin Mathew