Some basic questions about git

Hi,

I have some basic questions about git. I am a newbie in this so pardon
if it is too silly, but I can't seem to get it right
This is how I use my git.

I have a git repo cloned to linus' git tree and occasionally I do "git
pull" to get the latest changes.
If I have to change any file I change the file in same repo and do
"git commit -a". Today when I pulled the tree
I have something like below in one of my files.

<<<<<<< HEAD:arch/x86/boot/a20.c
	int loops = A20_ENABLE_LOOPS;
=======
       int loops = A20_ENABLE_LOOPS;
	while (loops--) {

As you can expect I had changed this file and already committed this
change and I got the same changes with the "git pull". My question is
how
do I merge them both to have the correct changes, or how do I resolve
the conflicts in such cases. Here I can do it manually because there
is only
one file but what if there are lot many files. I tried "git merge" but
that doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks in advance

--
Thanks & Regards,