Re: Booting to a kernel without PROC_FS

not sure if my conclusion is correct or not....but if u know...please share.

i want to generalize this question - what are all the parameters that
must be "y".   And whether CONFIG_PROC_FS is one of them.

first delete away .config file.   Then "make allnoconfig" to force a
"n" to all parameter.   The .config file created will have
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y.   And in it are many other "y" parameter as well.

What is/are your conclusions?

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Mulyadi Santosa
<mulyadi.santosa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Ian Brown <ianbrn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>  I tied to build and boot a kernel without a virtual filesystem;
>> namely, CONFIG_PROC_FS is not set.
>>
>> I got a panic.
>>
>> Is there a way to boot such a kernel with no PROC_FS support ?
>>
>> I am running it on x86_64 machine.
>
> I never tried it by myself, but IMHO that's nearly impossible. It's
> likely that some init scripts need to check/query/write something into
> /proc entries. Like you know, /proc plays major role on controlling
> how kernel works.
>
> regards,
>
> Mulyadi.
>
> --