ISR argument

Hi all,

I read that
"ISR can't have arguments because actually there is no caller in the
case of interrupts  who passes the arguments.
But linux has interrupt handler arguments, by way of some assembler
trick ,assigning a bit of code to every possible interrupt."

Reading from theory,I have some questions(may be dumb) regarding that.

Assuming i have an IRQ number shared by 2 drivers, who registered it
with 2 different handlers and 2 different dev_id pointer
Now when the interrupt occurs , how will the kernel know the correct
dev_id pointer to pass to the interrupt handler?

I also read that there should be a hardware assisted mechanism like
status register to know which device actually caused the interrupt.
Then what is the exact role of dev_id pointer in the case of shared interrupts?

Is it possible for me to tryout request_irq and interrupt handling
,practically by writing a small piece of code on my Celeron PC?

Thanks for any help.
mugunthan