Re: NMI broadcast causes divide error?

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Peter Teoh <htmldeveloper@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It is not spamming, it is education....thank for the info.   BTW...I
> think u gave me an idea now......
>
> Currently your kmemcheck is restricted to only one CPU.   Why not
> ALWAYS enable all the  CPU to run at the same time....BUT WHEN AND
> ONLY WHEN read operation is  detected on one CPU.....immediately send
> an IPI to all other CPU to freeze their operation.....until the not
> present flag is turned off again.....so it solved your "very small
> window" of racing condition.....
>
> What do you think?

Hi, and thanks for the suggestion :-)

Coincidentally, I sent the patch that does exactly this to LKML only 3
minutes before I got your e-mail!

(http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/23/179)

Vegard

--
"The animistic metaphor of the bug that maliciously sneaked in while
the programmer was not looking is intellectually dishonest as it