Re: Doubt regarding manual binding of PCI devices to drivers

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 12:28:01AM +0530, Balaji Rao wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> When trying to manually bind a new PCI device to its driver, I get an error
> saying 'No such device'
>
> I tried all these,
>
> echo -n "0000:00:0a.0" > bind
> echo -n "0000:00:0a" > bind
> echo -n "00:0a.0" > bind
> echo -n "00:0a" > bind
>
> All of them give the same above mentioned error.
>
> I have verified that a pci device exists exists at 00:0a.0

Have you verified that the pci device list for the driver you wish to
bind supports this device?

Odds are, it doesn't :)

Have you added it with the new_id file?

> Does this error message mean that its a wrong device for the driver ? I have
> verified in the driver source that it supports the device by looking at its
> pci id table.

Then why is it not bound to the device already?

You need to use the name that is in sysfs, which should be
"0000:00:0a.0" in your example.

thanks,

greg k-h