Re: Virtual addresses below 0x8048000

Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
Hi all..

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 8:03 PM, srinivasa ds <srinivasa.ds@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If you use  -pie(position independent executable) option of gcc, load
address will be randomly picked. Hence doesn't remain 0x8048000.

thanks for reminding me about PIE...i forgot that term...grrrr

Address space randomization is also known as exec-shield in linux, And this
is responsible for mapping userspace stack and heap at different address for
each execution of same executable.

nope, exec shield, to the best I know, did the thing like making stack
non executable or effectively applying NX bit if it's supported by
your processor. Address space randomization is something separate from
exec-shield...
Let me dig more information on this....
You can even randomize the loading address of the executable using -pie flag
in GCC.

AFAIK, true. However, the loader must also regards this feature...if
not, you'll be ended in same start address. So it's a collaboration of
compiler, linker and loader ...CMIIW people

Yes, Thats correct.

Thanks
Srinivasa Ds