Re: /proc/slabinfo update issue

Hi,,,

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Manoj Kumar Santubhai Jain
<ManojKumarS_Jain@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When the file /proc/slabinfo does get updated?

it just reads current condition of slab... so whenever something new
is added or something is released from slab, at the earliest moment
you read /proc/slabinfo...you shall see the difference there.

> I started new process and I was thinking mm_struct active objects should be increased but it stays constant.

Big chance they are sharing mm_struct...or at least since under shared
page(s). Or....somehow the newly created process/thread used just
released mm_struct

> Output Before staring process:
> #cat /proc/slabinfo | grep mm_struct
> mm_struct             52     64    512    8    1 : tunables    0    0    0 : slabdata      8      8      0
> # ps -fu root | wc
>     70     615    4645
>
> Started process in another shell (shell was already open)  /home/manoj/hello
>
> Output after Starting process
> # cat /proc/slabinfo | grep mm_struct
> mm_struct             52     64    512    8    1 : tunables    0    0    0 : slabdata      8      8      0
> # ps -fu root | wc
>     71     623    4711
>
> Is it possible that parent(shell) and child (hello) using same mm_struct ?

Yeah, there is a chance that happens....

> I also tried running /home/manoj/hello&, but the result is same.
>
> Is there something that I need to enable in my config file? Or there is a possible bug with update on /proc/slabinfo?

Bug? I don't think so...however you must rememeber that slab condition
is highly volatile...thus IMO even if you read it per 1 milisecond,
there is a slight chance you miss the whole slab addition/reduction
history.

CMIIW people...

regards,

Mulyadi.