Re: file I/O and block I/O

Hi Vijay,

Block I/O is the basic mechanism for DISK access using the SCSI
protocol as the command set. Block I/O is fast and data can be
transmitted in various block sizes like 2K, 4K, 8K, 16K, 64K, 128K,
etc. Block I/O can be done over various transports. Parallel SCSI
cables, copper fiber, optical fiber and even encapsulated and
transmitted over IP networks.
Block I/O is what is used to talk to DISKS.
File I/O is what is used to talk to FILES.

File I/O usually uses either NFS or CIFS/SMB access protocols over
TCP/IP Ethernet. File I/O has locking mechanics so that data may be
shared between different OS types. (Like Unix and NT) File I/O usually
uses TCP/IP as the transport mechanism and thus must conform to the
seven-layer "stack." This means each piece of data needing transport
must traverse the entire IP stack before going "over the wire." This
causes overhead and slows things down a bit. IP stack latency can be
minimized by using a TOE- (TCP/IP offload engine) based network
adapter card. The "TOE" offloads the CPU cycles needed to transmit the
data through the IP stack from the server CPU to the NIC itself.

Advantages of file I/O are ease of implementation, cost and the
ability to "share" files. The disadvantages are speed and latency and
the fact that many applications cannot be "installed" on a network
share.

Advantages of block I/O are speed, minimal latency and high
availability. The disadvantages of block I/O are no inherent file
sharing capability, complexity and cost.

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Vijay Chauhan <kernel.vijay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi list,
> i have heard the terms file I/O and block I/O. I have very basic question:-
> What is difference between file I/O and block I/O ??
> I mean file I/O itself a block I/O, isn't it?
>
> Can anyone explain in details, i shall be highly thankful.
>
> ~Vijay
>
> --

Regards,
Sandeep.

"To learn is to change. Education is a process that changes the learner."