Re: why kernel use git instead of CVS or SVN

Hi!

On 15:37 Sun 04 May     , vichy wrote:
> Dear all:
> Right now the kernel and Xorg is maintained by git rather than SVN or CVS.
> Would someone tell me the reason why the kernel repository uses git?
> Thanks a lot,
> vichy

SVN/CVS requires a central repositories. Git can handle multiply distributed
repositories and you later merge them in together. Not a simple 3 way merge -
git tracks which changes are already applied and can handle some situation a
3-way merge cannot.

e.g.
upstream tree/subtree1/subtree2

subtree1 does some change
subtree2 does some change
subtree2 merges the changes of subtree1
subtree1 gets merged to upstream
subtree2 gets merged to upstream later, too

see "man git-merge"

Moreover it has built in email support. You can send your changes via email
and apply incoming patches very fast. This makes review the code easier.
Instead of looking what was commited afterwards and then looking up the email
address of this user and ... the maintainer can simply hit reply and write his
response. If he does not have time the merge can be delayed until the patch
has been reviewed.
	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.homelinux.net