Q on Linux Memory Management (page tables)

I am trying to understand linux memory management stuff. I am reading Understanding Linux Kernel - 2nd Edition. I am at chapter 2 only and I am confused like anything.
It says that kernel uses 3-level paging. In case of PAE is enabled it actually uses page middle directory. My question is when IA-32 supports only 2 level paging how can _any_ kernel use 3-level of paging? After all its not the job of kernel to use page tables and convert VA to PA, rather its the job of H/W.

Please can any body point me to some book/link, which talks about memory management (how initial page tables are setup? How final page tables are setup?) in linux in a better fashion so that after reading which I can _imagine_ various page tables in kernel, I can visualize that?

- Arvind Sahlot