Re: kernel preemption does not work

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Scott Lovenberg
<scott.lovenberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Yeah, FWIW, none of the server distros compile preemption in; it's only
> really for desktop responsiveness, and even then, I think its value may be
> marginal (at this time - I think it will mature).  I'm not sure exactly how
> it works, but there is also a BIG_KERNEL_LOCK or something to that effect...
> that's probably a spinlock thing.  I've never ventured to that part of the
> code base, yet.  Peter, do you know anything about it?  I think it showed up

Not sure what u mean.   But in init/Kconfig is this:

config LOCK_KERNEL
        bool
        depends on SMP || PREEMPT
        default y

So CONFIG_LOCK_KERNEL will require that CONFIG_PREEMPT to be turned
on, or CONFIG_SMP.

For embedded CONFIG_SMP may not be y, so if CONFIG_LOCK_KERNEL is to
be default (y), then upon "make oldconfig" time u will be prompted to
turned on CONFIG_PREEMPT.

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh