Re: Trouble with PCI Ethernet card

Dinesh Bhat schrieb:
This probably means mapping the BARs were unsuccessful.
Okay, so the PCI memory couldn't be mapped correctly into the kernel's,right ?
Well, that's bad. I guess. Shouldn't the driver know all about this?
You should look into ioremap_nocache more carefully within your driver.
Actually I am simply trying to use the Ethernet device not mess around with her driver. Anyway I couldn't find further information regarding hardware specific details of the card. Is there a way I can somehow get more information myself directly from the card besides "lspci" (some kind of sw-tool)?

Greetings,
Thomas

Thomas Häberle wrote:
Hi!

I'm working with a MPC5200 on an STK52xx (TQ components) using the Linux_2_4_devel Kernel from the DENX site.

Currently I have trouble getting my Kernel to accept the PCI Ethernet card in the PCI slot (well, where else? newbie != dummy ;-) The card is a Netgear FA311 with an DP831 chip on it, thus I have to use the "National Semiconductor DP8381x series PCI Ethernet support" in my Kernel configuration, right? Well, checked it, built the Kernel, it boots, everything flawless, except the little fact I can't get the card working.

An "lspci -vvv" states:

00:1a.0 Class 0680: 1057:5809
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- Status: Cap- 66Mhz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ >SERR- <PERR-
       Latency: 248, cache line size 08
Region 0: Memory at <ignored> (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K] Region 1: Memory at <unassigned> (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=1024M]
<<<
so the card is recognized somehow, but "ifconfig -a" shows only the onboard Ethernet device.

During boot the Kernel says:

[...]
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 00:1a.0
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4
[...]
<<<

Does this mean the Kernel doesn't no where to start up the device or what do do with it?
Shouldn't the built-in device driver tell him what to do?
Or is the problem earlier and he doesn't understand that the PCI device is the very Ethernet device for which he has a suitable driver?
Any ideas or helpfull hints?

Thanks and greetings,
Thomas