Re: C or C++

Hi max,

C++ is advanced than C so there should be no problem for you to understand and write C codes. you can straight a way get into C coding..

And also you don't need to learn C now... all you have to do is to you have to know what are the features are not available in C when compared to CPP

Just go through the kernel source code and learn some advanced techniques that are used in the kernel.

Regards ,
H. Mohamed Thalib

max wrote:
I am familiar with C++ but to the best of my knowledge the kernel is written in C. I found this in Wikipedia :

"Many other languages are used in some way, primarily in connection with the kernel build process (the methods whereby the bootable image is created from the sources). These include Perl, Python, and various shell scripting languages. Some drivers may also be written in C++, Fortran, or other languages, but this is strongly discouraged. Linux's build system only officially supports GCC as a kernel and driver compiler."

I just want to be sure i am proceeding in the proper direction. Would I be better served by forgetting everything I know about C++ and learning C? All advice and opinions, of any kind, are welcome.

Max