Re: the first in a series of memory management questions

On 4/3/08, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
>
> > On 4/3/08, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > >  given that i'm determined to nail down how linux MM works, i'm
> > > perusing the code and some docs from the beginning and, since a lot of
> > > those docs annoyingly disagree with each other in some fundamental
> > > places, i'm going to be asking some annoyingly trivial questions.  get
> > > used to it.  :-)
> > >
> > >  to start, the standard definition of high memory on a 32-bit x86
> > > system is memory above 896M.
> > >
> > >  * where is that exact boundary defined?
> >
> > in  arch/<architecture>/mm/init.c, e.g:
> >
> > arch/i386/mm/init.c in function zone_size_init
>
>  i'm guessing you're looking at an older version of the source tree
> as that arch directory doesn't even exist anymore -- both 32 and 64
> bit versions have been amalgamated under arch/x86 and, as the previous
> poster pointed out, the limit is now in arch/x86/mm/init_32.c, which
> does answer my question.  more questions coming shortly.

i hav found in zone_sizes_init function under file arch/i386/kernel/setup.c

   1168 #ifdef CONFIG_HIGHMEM
   1169                 zones_size[ZONE_HIGHMEM] = highend_pfn - low;
   1170 #endif

At one more place zone_sizes_init(void): arch/i386/mm/discontig.c

    380 #ifdef CONFIG_HIGHMEM
    381                                 BUG_ON(start > high);
    382                                 zones_size[ZONE_HIGHMEM] = high - start;
    383 #endif

(kernel version 2.6.16.46)

Rgds,
Adil