Re: Ethernet over Kernel Sockets

Hello Mulyadi!

The preemption is off, because we have a Kerrighed (kerrighed.org)
patched kernel and I believe it doesn't work correctly with preemption
(at present) but I'll try that.

Ahh...welcome to clustering brotherhood :)

Oh Thanks! :-)))
I still haven't tried to change the preemption model but I'll do that the next days because we had weekend and the short time I spent for my work I used to understand more about the callbacks in the linux kernel code...

I could replace the kernel thread for receiving UDP messages by an incomplete callback solution and now I have PingPong times of ~30µsec (over the native Ethernet interfaces I get ~23µsec) so that's an increase of only about 4µsec in one way instead of the 1msec (with the kernel thread solution)... I think that I'm on the right way but there must be done more work. For example the checksum and (I believe) also the fragmentation stuff. So I think I must read much more kernel code and ask more people if they can help me...

How can I read the received data from the socket, what should I do after
reading, what must be locked and when...?
And what has to be done if I want send through a socket without the
sock_sendmsg() function which can't be called in interrupt context?

Do you know any sources (books or something else) where I can read more
about socket callbacks? Because I've looked into the kernel sources
where these callbacks will be set but there are completely no comments...

What if you better buy a copy of Understanding Linux Network stack? I
hope that book can help you ....

That is a real good idea!
We have this book at our chair and unfortunately I could read nothing about the socket callbacks but there is much about the sk_buff struct and some about the checksum stuff.
Maybe that can help me with the further work...

Thanks again very much for your help and have a nice week!

Regards,
Lukas