Re: Accessing a kernel module function from kernel scheduler

Actually the monitoring is only a first step. With the monitored data the module tries to manage the resources. The task monitored have a budget linked so when they run more time than their budget a handling function is called. So I need the function on the module to be accessed form the kernel linux in some way.

I forget specifying I am working with Kernel 2.6

Thanks for answering,

Regards

2008/2/29, Steve <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi David,

On Fri 29/02/08 12:59 PM , "David Embid" davidembid@xxxxxxxxx sent:
> Hi,
>
> i have been developing a little module to monitoring the use of CPU
> for some processes. For this, I need to handle the moment when the
> scheduler switch the processes. My problem is that I don't know
> how can I access the handling function (contained on my kernel
> module) from the kernel scheduler (sched.c). I have tried with a
> function callback. My module overwrite a function pointer used by the
> kernel to acces the handler when the module is loaded. This solution
> seems to work properly and the function is called every switch made
> by the scheduler. The problem is that the variables used on the
> function have different memory direction when the function is called
> by the callback on the kernel and the direction when the variable is
> used on other function in the module.
> Can someone give me some advice?

Well, I am a kernel n00b myself, but if you are interested in just monitoring and are not really doing this as an exercise to learn kernel programming, I think susing systemtap would be ideal for something like this.

http://sourceware.org/systemtap/
http://sourceware.org/systemtap/documentation.html

Could someone here possibly post a stap script to do what David needs ?

regards,
- steve