Re: need help to understand 2.6 kernel device drivers

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:00:53AM +0200, Darius wrote:
> I've compiled my first driver, which controls single LED on my board.
> I choose misc type, but don't know it is correct? Should it not be char
> driver?

No, it should be the LED type driver, tying into that framework so as to
provide a common interface to userspace.

> My target is to write driver for CMOS video sensor. I need help
> with this driver structure - what it should be? Video sensor has I2C
> interface for control, CSI 8bit interface for data and few GPIO for control
> too. So - my driver should use another drivers (stacked driver)?

Yes, it can, but take a look at the other video drivers for sensors like
this, they often just have the i2c and gpio logic all in them together.

And also, this should be a v4l2 type driver.

good luck,

greg k-h