Re: current status on drivers for webcams

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Brandon Philips <brandon@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 13:17 Wed 20 Feb 2008, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >  >   i just picked up a logitech quickcam communicate STX webcam for my
> >  > fedora 8 system, and was pointed in the direction of:
> >  >
> >  >   http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html
> >  >
> >  > from where i grabbed the gspcav1-20071224.tar.gz tarball,
> >  > uncompressed, build module, installed and the webcam simply worked.
> >  > so the question is -- is that software an *alternative* to what's in
> >  > the kernel right now in terms of spca-related drivers?
> >
> >  The gspca author has never submitted the driver to the mainline Kernel.
> >  That is why it isn't in regular 2.6 releases.
>
> Indeed. There has been a discussion on this on the gspca mailing list
> a while ago:
> http://lists-archives.org/spca50x-devs/01167-adding-gspca-to-the-mainline-kernel.html
>
> The authors have several objections against mainlining the driver... I
> don't think this will change soon.

for curiosity's sake, i'm going to peruse that discussion to see what
the objection is but, based on a quick glimpse, i have a bad feeling
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=20060720124839.64364.qmail%40web34707.mail.mud.yahoo.com

"This module will probably _never_ be in mainstream kernel, since
development of kernel and module works at very different speeds.
spca5xx contains alot of (relativly) untested code which would never
be permitted in the kernel, and when finally permitted the code in
question would probably be obsolete."

  i'm sorry ... you don't want to mainline the code because you don't
want to *test* large portions of it?  are all of the other arguments
that feeble?  yeesh.  perhaps someone can put the children to bed and
let the grownups run things over there.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.