Re: duplicated packets

Hi...

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Hayim <hayim@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Don't understand.
>
>  This trace is from an HTTP server, where a file is being sent from the
>  server to a client.

Ah sorry, I thought you were showing the trace from your own raw socket program.

>  After the "GET" command the client does not send anything else, so why
>  should the ack sequences be different?

Well, to the best I know , same ACK seq happens when:
1. during 3 way handshake
2. retransmission, thus ack-ing same packet(s).

So, in normal tcp operations, usually (at least AFAIK) seq number
should grow higher during data communication

>  The server sends packets as much as the TCP-window allows.
>  But here, a packet was sent twice, with no apparent reason.

TTL (or any other flag that means "time out) is too low?

>  Also, note my first mail, that packets sent by this server are not sent
>  through the TCP-stack (using 'send' on a TCP socket), but instead, they
>  are sent on a raw socket, where the TCP is implemented by my user space
>  application.

I see...that includes that HTTP session, where your tcp/ip stack acts
as the server or client?

>  I can most positively say that the user space application called sendto
>  only once for each packet, whereas one packet was sent twice.

This is something I can't answer right now.... probably because I am
not so keen about the whole jungle of TCP/IP

regards,

Mulyadi.