uart_console_write()

I was recently hacking on one of my drivers which was reporting that its hardware experienced a FIFO overflow. To me this was a symptom that interrupt latency was exceptionally high. Not long afterwards, I found myself in uart_console_write() inside a spinlock (with interrupts disabled), with the UART's transmitter empty interrupt disabled, and POLLING the characters out. Obviously, if there are many characters pending transmission, this would do atrocious things to the interrupt latency.

Can someone point me at an explanation of uart_write() vs uart_console_write()? How/when do I find myself in the latter function? Can I rewrite this to use interrupt-driven output?

Thanks!
-Miles