Re: Minimum pentium class machine to do kernel testing?

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 19:53:37 +0100 "Vegard Nossum" <vegard.nossum@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

:>On 2/11/08, Binyamin Dissen <bdissen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:>> I am about to do the jump and setup up a pentium type machine for linux.

:>> What is the minimal configuration (processor, memory, disk) to be able to run
:>> the latest and greatest, including rebuilding the kernel within a reasonable
:>> amount of time?

:>I am not sure if I really understand your question -- you say "minimal
:>configuration" and "latest and greatest". In my mind, this sounds like
:>a contradiction.

:>Do you mean the latest kernel? In that case, I expect that you don't
:>need very much -- I have a 486 with 16 MB RAM that runs a Gentoo Linux
:>with 2.6.16 kernel or so. I don't think the requirements have changed
:>that much since then. It has a 2G disk, but doesn't have any
:>graphical/X programs. Are you interested in just running the kernel,
:>or do you also need a full desktop system?

The latest kernel. I would expect to telnet/PUTTY from a different system to
do stuff, so I am not sure if graphical performance would be needed.

:>When you say "rebuilding the kernel", do you want to build the kernel
:>on the machine in question, or a completely different one? Compiling
:>the kernel on pretty much anything below 500 MHz would be a major
:>pain, I think. Why do you want to build your own kernel, are you
:>looking for a development/test machine?

I would eventually want to build my own kernel.

I take it a pentium 2 with 256M would be more than adequate for the job? I do
not mind if the full build takes a couple of hours - I would if it takes a
couple of days.

:>If you are trying to reduce compile time for the kernel, I would
:>suggest starting with "make defconfig", then removing the things you
:>don't need (PCI, USB, etc.). (You can also run "make allnoconfig", but
:>then you really do have to know what to enable in order to make the
:>kernel usable for your setup.)

I do not want to remove stuff, but I will do most stuff off of the machine. I
would FTP updated stuff and then run a make.

:>If you just want to install Linux on an older machine, the best option
:>is probably to perform the installation on a new machine, then switch
:>disks. There are plenty of small/lightweight distributions out there.
:>
:>I hope this helps at least a little bit. But knowing your requirements
:>and/or intentions would probably help us answer your question. Good
:>luck.

Thanks for the pointers.

--
Binyamin Dissen <bdissen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>