Re: Permanent HD spindown?

Dave,

It sounds like what you are doing is pretty dangerous think about it,
you are telling the drive to spin down and then an app tries to access the drive and it spins up again. if the drive failes to spin up (because you have been successful), the app is going get a read failed,
leaving your system in an undeterministic state.

If you aren't using the drive unmount it and spin it down, if you are using it leave it alone.

Regards

David Wuertele wrote:
I'm writing code for an embedded system that has drive heat problems.  I don't
have control over the applications on the box, but I'm responsible for making
sure that if the drive gets too hot, I spin it down and it stays down.

"hdparm -y /dev/xxx" works great for spinning down the drive, but it doesn't
make things permanent.  If any of the apps tries a read or a write, linux
happily spins up the drive again.

I can go muck around in the linux ATA driver and try to break whatever is
re-activating the drive, but it would be much nicer if there were some standard
interface for doing the same thing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave