Re: A question about the implementation of routing subsystem in Linux kernel

Hi!

On 19:22 Fri 08 Feb     , Zheng Da wrote:
> Recently, I try to understand the implementation of the routing subsystem.
> It's so complex, and I'm quite confused by so many different structures.
> As my understanding about the four structures fib_node, fib_alias, fib_info,
> and fib_nh:
> fib_node can be used to identify a subnet or a host.
> fib_alias is used to represent a route.
> fib_info contains the real routing information.
> fib_nh contains the information of the next hop.
> I can understand fib_node can have a few fib_alias objects because Linux
> supports multipath. For the same subnet, there may exist several routes to
> it.
> Several fib_alias objects share one fib_info, it's still reasonable because
> different routes may share the same parameter values of an existing fib_info
> object.
> But why one fib_info can have several fib_nh objects? That means a route may
> have several next hops, but it seems unreasonable.
> Can someone show me an example to help me understand it?
> Thank you in advance.

What happens when multiple interfaces have an address in the same subnet? This
is just a guess, I'm not so deeply involved in IP routing.
	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.homelinux.net