Re: generic_file_read function for kernel 2.6.23.11

On Jan 11, 2008 10:10 AM, Manish Katiyar <mkatiyar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2008 2:40 AM, ilya <jibberboosh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > > I am unable to find the generic_file_read/write functions for the VFS
> > > layer. Could anyone please help me with what should they be replaced
> > > for the new kernel version. googling I could not find much neither I
> > > could find any text about replacement of these functions in the
> > > documentation. I am trying to port a module from 2.4 to 2.6.
> >
> > i did a quick search through 2.6.23 headers and the generic_file_read()
> > is still in fs.h but no generic_file_write(). what about using vfs_read() and
> > vfs_write()?
> >

> Hi Ilya,
>
> Which version of kernel headers did you get generic_file_read. I am
> looking at include/linux/fs.h (kernel 2.6.23.11) and can only find
> do_generic_file_read . Though I got a link
> (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3767131.html?sid=d5cfe4877e1aec54496fbf8169b121c7#3767131)
> saying that generic_file_read should be replaced with do_sync_read in
> the newer versions. Also vfs_read internally also calls do_sync_read
> with some more checks, so I think it is better to use vfs_read rather
> than do_sync_read.

:-( My bad...... you cannot use vfs_{read/write} as that would make
your program to fall in an infinite recursive loop as vfs_write
internally again calls file->f_op->write if it is there . Right now i
am using do_sync_write() in my test program and things appear to work
till now ..