Re: TLB Question

> E.g. who fills, flushes & refills the TLB entries?
TLB entries are filled by H/W and not explicitly by kernel. Whenever MMU translates VA to PA it caches that translation into TLB. If TLB is full then MMU uses its own algorithms to replace some entry in TLB e.g. MMU might consider TLB as circular buffer and replace first entry once TLB is full.

>What all initializations need to be performed by kernel (And where is
>the code?)
Kernel bascially has to set up the page tables and set the Page Table Base register and enbale MMU.

Regards
- A.

On 2/5/08, Rick Brown <rick.brown.3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to understand the MMU operations & am wondering where is
the kernel code where the kernel interfaces with the this piece of
hardware?

Can some one help me in understanding that what all are the
responsibilities of the kernel, and what is it the hardware takes care
of automatically? E.g. who fills, flushes & refills the TLB entries?
What all initializations need to be performed by kernel (And where is
the code?)

TIA,

Rick