Re: Getting list of exported symbols for $ARCH

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 09:27:29PM -0500, Joseph Fannin wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there are simple way to get a list of the exported symbols
> (i.e. with EXPORT_SYMBOL) for a particular kernel arch, preferably
> without building a kernel for that arch?
>
> I'd like to find a definitive way to see if a symbol is exported or
> not for a particular architechture -- without a full suite of cross
> compilers.

Please clarify what you mean with "list of the exported symbols for a
particular kernel arch" - which symbols are exported heavily depends on
the kernel configuration.

What exactly do you want to do with the result?

> One more thing -- consider you have:
>
> static inline void copy_page(void *to, void *from)
> {
>         copy_4K_page(to, from);
> }
>
> ... and copy_4K_page is exported, but copy_page is not.  Is it
> possible that gcc would optimize copy_page() away, so that modules
> referencing copy_page would end up getting (the exported) copy_4k_page
> and would work?
>
> That last doesn't seem likely to me, but I thought I saw it happening
> somewhere.  I would like to understand this a bit better.

The way we redefine inline in the kernel we force gcc to always inline
copy_page() in your example, and the modules will therefore always
directly call copy_4K_page().

> Thanks!
> Joseph Fannin

cu