Re: Question on kernel startup

On 25-01-08 07:18, sahlot arvind wrote:

So isn't there a thick line that this code is PIC and this is not? What I
understand is that on any arch code, which runs before enabling paging
unit must be PIC. Is that correct?

Depends on the level of theory versus practice of the question. In theory you could simply tell the linker where the code is going to be running at correctly after which hardcoded addresses would be fine. ARM practice I have none.

And one more question - can we load linux image any where in the memory and run?

Not generally. On x86 you can specify the physical address to which the kernel is loaded through the kernel configuration (CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START) and can even build a fully relocatable kernel (which on 32-bit at least works mostly through load-time fixups) but generaqlly, the kernel needs to know where it's going to run at.

Rene.