Re: in kernel compilation of ext3

yes, it would be called during system boot, but again it depends on
the presumption that you are using ext3 as one of the filesystem which
gets mounted by default during boot (ie... it is either your default
or has entry in /etc/fstab). Otherwise if you want to trace you can
use UML to do that.

1) Built ext3 as built in in your UML source kernel and boot it in gdb.
2) Create a small file using dd
3) Create ext3 filesystem over it.
4) Set a breakpoint either register_filesystem or ext2_fill_super.
5) mount the filesystem and it would stop in gdb. From here on you can
trace whatever you want in ext3.

Hope that helps.

--
Thanks & Regards,