Re: memory usage XEN ??

Hi...

> On Jan 18, 2008 11:11 AM, Onkar <onkar.n.m@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >               I managed to boot up my system with Xen patched kernel. I
> > start the Xen console. But the Xen indicates that there is no free memory
> > available. Which is the most trustworthy way to get the current memory usage
> > of the system ?? any command ??

Which side told you that? host or guest? How much do you give for the guest?

Another questions are:
1. How many guests are currently running? And how much do you give to
each of them?

2. what is the initial free memory when only dom0 is active? when I
said free, it's "free+ cached+buffer" shown from top/free/vmstat

Assuming it's the guest that told you there was no free RAM, maybe
there are fair amount of free RAM but....maybe..Xen need contigous
pages ( via vmalloc IIRC). Thus if you suffer pretty bad
fragmentation, you can't get them as big as you want.

And how far you can trust it? Not too far, but at least you can treat
it as "approximation". The reason, IMHO, because the statistics are
snapshots of very heavily fluctuating environment.... in this
case...VM. You can understand it more thoroughly if you study
top/vmstat/free codes.

regards,

Mulyadi.