RE: Linux Install

You certainly can.  There are a variety of ways including
LinuxFromScratch.org (aka LFS), Soup To Nuts
(souptonuts.sourceforge.net), and generic builds involving a C library,
BusyBox and the Linux kernel.  I've tried all three.  You can also
typically search for and find the build scripts involved with creating
Fedora, Debian and many other distributions that would be of help with
your adventures.  If you have minimal Linux Distribution and Linux
Kernel experience I would reccommend taking apart a distribution piece
by piece to see how everything fits together.  If you have more
experience than most and/or feeling adventurous I'd reccommend
downloading the LFS book or souptonuts and giving it a go!

-Adam